With the cold weather upon us, making a warm, filling meal that the whole family enjoys while incorporating veggies is important. Give this vegetable lasagna a try! This lasagna contains Banza noodles, which are made from chickpeas, a great source of fiber and protein. They also happen to taste delicious! Adding spinach gives this meal more flavor and veggies. You can pair with a side of zucchini, squash, eggplant, or make a side salad. The more veggies the better!
Serves: About 5-6 people
- 1 bag (5-6 oz) of fresh spinach
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1- 15 oz container of part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1- 8 oz bag of part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- Pinch of parsley
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, makes the filling a little spicy)
- 1- 28 oz can of no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 box of Banza lasagna noodles- oven ready, no boil (or can use whole wheat noodles; if not oven ready, boil first in water until al dente and then add to the lasagna pan)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Sauté the spinach in a pan with a tsp of olive oil for about 2 minutes, or microwave in a microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds or until soft.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, egg, ¼ cup tomato sauce, spices, and spinach.
- Layer the lasagna pan (about 9×13 inches) with tomato sauce, and add about 4 noodles across. Put a thin layer of tomato sauce, followed by a layer of filling across each noodle, and layer on about 3-4 more noodles based on preference or until the noodles are used up. Add another layer of sauce on the top and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the pasta and filling is cooked through.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
Authored by: Nicole Parello, MS, RD,CDN