Spanish "Rice" Recipe
Riced cauliflower is an excellent low-carb and low-calorie alternative to rice. With a similar texture and appearance, it is an easy way to make a healthy swap. You can rice your own by chopping heads of cauliflower into small piece. Cauliflower rice is also easily accessible in the grocery store pre-chopped in the produce section or in the frozen section. You can use cauliflower rice in whatever recipes you would normally use rice, but here is one recipe for Spanish “Rice” that is great place to start.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups of frozen or fresh riced cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan on medium heat with 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Sauté onion and garlic until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in 2 cups of fresh or frozen cauliflower; cook until tender (around 5 minutes). Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth for flavor.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, stirring well.
- Lastly, add in a pinch of oregano and salt. Pairs well with fajita chicken or black beans!
By Alexis Desrosiers, RDN, LDN
Interested in learning more about obesity & nutrition? Read these related articles:
HOw can we help?
Are you struggling with obesity? If so, schedule a meeting with a Charge Registered Dietitian today to create a personalized nutrition plan that works for you.